Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 26 of 30: Weight Loss Stories: Don't Underestimate Your Own


DAY 26 of 30!
TIGHT BODY 30 DAY CHALLENGE!

Today’s topic is a sensitive one. It’s about weight loss. Weight loss is a very personal issue. Before I begin, I want to make three things clear: 

1) I’m not putting anybody on a pedestal.
2) Nor am I putting anybody down. 

The focus of this article is to bring people to the awareness that:
3) Weight loss is weight loss, period.

THE BIG STORY

You’ve heard the stories, and seen the before and after pictures of many people who have once been overweight or obese. Some of them go on to produce a book about their journey, some manufacture supplements, sell t-shirts, make dvd’s, and other projects to tell others about their success. Others go on to promote a specific weight loss product, program, etc. Many go on grateful the weight has been lost and feel no need to explore the world of media, or profit. Is there anything wrong about ‘selling’ your story? Absolutely not, it can be outright motivating to another person who sees your story and pictures, and gives them the drive to give it a go, and see if they can produce the same results. Is it wrong NOT to share your story? Absolutely not, as I’ve said, weight loss is a very personal issue. Besides, those who know you and see the hard work you’ve done, and lifestyle changes you’ve made, will stand in awe regardless if you advertise it, or not.

THE FLIP-SIDE

You also meet people almost everyday, who mention how they’d like to lose the last five, ten, or maybe fifteen pounds they’ve been trying to lose. Talk to anyone long enough, bring up the subject of health and/or weight, and it’s almost a given people will express their constant frustration of weight loss. They’ll share their stories with you of how much weight they’ve lost, then gained, and lost again. This has come to be known as yo-yo dieting in some instances, but not all. For instance, a woman could have had several children, gained a significant amount of weight, and had to then lose the weight. Is that yo-yo dieting? No.

WOMAN LOSES 200 POUNDS! Amazing!

Sounds impressive, doesn’t it? Well, it’s true, and I’m the one who did it. No, I’m not broadcasting pictures. No, I’m not ‘selling’ my story; I’m simply sharing this with you.  I’ve lost 200 pounds. No, it wasn’t drastic. Like millions of other Americans, it was an almost hidden battle that went on for years, which many around me never realized. Some would say it as “I’ve lost the same five to fifteen pounds, up to fifty times”. Perhaps, perhaps not. The fact is, I gained the weight, and I lost the weight. Weight loss is weight loss, period. No, I was not obese. I’m your typical American. I gained weight, and lost it, over and over, and over again.

You see; there is no difference when it comes to weight loss. Whether a person gains all 200 pounds consecutively, or puts it on, and takes it off, over and over and over again, 200 pounds is 200 pounds.

I find it unfair when people make comments about an over weight or obese individual, because they themselves might not be any better off as far as gaining the weight, it’s just masked a bit differently.

I was a heavy set teenager due to the fact I had health issues which doctors recommended I not exercise (seriously), and spent most of my time depressed, watching television, eating unhealthy snacks, and getting fat. My story is in a previous blog on www.tightbodybootcamp.blogspot.com  When I first began losing weight, it was in a haphazard ‘yo-yo’ style manner, as I hadn’t the education to understand different. As time moved on, and the more I learned on the topic, it changed.

I began maintaining 15 years ago. This maintenance was for my goals at that time of my life. A weight of 102 to 106 was my stabilized weight. As I wanted to become more fit, my weight began to go up, as I was building muscle. My maintenance weight is now 114-118, however, I’m much healthier and fit.

You can ask anyone who competes in Figure or Bodybuilding about their weight bouncing up and down between shows and/or seasons, as they are constantly putting it on, and taking it off. Is this any different than an overweight person losing weight? No. As weight loss is weight loss, period.

Ask sport athletes about gaining and losing weight, wrestlers, gymnasts, swimmers, etc. It comes on, and they have to take it back off. Some areas of career are bent on weight, such as with ballet. If you don’t make the weight, you don’t get the part, period. Is this weight loss different than any other weight loss? No.

You can ask the mother of several children what it’s like to have children and get back in shape again. Trust me, the more you have, the longer and harder it is to do, I know, I’ve had six children, and three other pregnancies (including twins), which left me with weight to lose. Is this weight loss any different? Some would argue ‘baby weight’ comes off faster. Yes, to some degree the water weight, and other fluids cleanse out quickly from the pregnancy, however, there is still weight to be lost, and weight loss is weight loss, period.

IT TAKES THE SAME DESIRE, DRIVE, DETERMINATION, SACRIFICE, AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO LOSE 10 POUNDS AS IT DOES TO LOSE 100, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE TIME IT TAKES TO DO IT. THE DIFFERENCE IS IN TIME, NOT WEIGHT LOSS ITSELF.

BOTTOM LINE

For the overweight and obese, losing weight is a long-term battle. It won’t happen overnight, but change can be made everyday through conscious effort, and determination.

For the ‘maintenance’ people, and ‘yo-yo’ dieters, it’s an ongoing daily battle as well, just in a different way. It takes the same conscious effort however, and determination to lose ten pounds, or maintain current weight, as it does to lose a hundred.

To those of you who struggle with your weight going up and down throughout the year, or struggling to lose the last five, ten, or fifteen pounds and look at pictures of people who have lost a significant amount of weight and say, “Sheesh, look at them, they were 100 pounds overweight and they did it, what’s my problem?” Then go on to get further depressed, and frustrated with yourself, I say stop.  

The problem here is comparing your self to someone else. Everyone’s circumstances are different. Weight loss is the same for everyone. 

Look back at your track record. Have you lost weight before? Chances are, you have. If so, you haven’t failed, you succeeded at that time, and can do it again, perhaps in an even healthier way. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times;  

"NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE ELSE'S SUCCESS 
MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE A FAILURE."
 
You are you. Your circumstances are different. Take action. Get educated. Go to work.

To those who are overweight and look at people who are in shape, or at a modest weight, please, do not feel like it’s any easier for them. It is just as hard to maintain a healthy weight. It is a conscious decision everyday as what to eat, drink, etc. Do not look and feel it is beyond you, that it could never be you, because it just isn't true.


Weight loss is weight loss, period. 

Maintenance is maintenance, and it’s not easy either, it’s a choice. Get support. Believe in yourself, and know no one is any better, or has it any easier when it comes to weight, and weight loss. We all deal with it daily. Period.

I have not said too much in the way of health conditions which could keep one from losing weight as readily as normal. Research indicates genetics play a very small role in regards to weight for the majority of people. However, I find people in both categories have thyroid, adrenal, cancer, etc., conditions that affect weight and weight loss. What I’m referring to here today is the greater of the population, who does not fall into these categories.

May we accept ourselves for who we are, work with what we have, where we’re at, and judge ourselves against no one but our self. Progress is progress. Period.

DAY 26 of 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment