Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 16 of 30: Facing Our Fears

DAY 16 OF 30!
TIGHT BODY 30 DAY CHALLENGE!
Good day Challengers! We're scooting right along. I hope you're taking this mind/body transformation seriously, as it will leave you a changed person for the better. I highly encourage you to ponder the quotes, do the daily blog 'exercises', and get to know yourself from the inside out.

Today's focus: FEAR

WHAT IS FEAR?  

According to Websters:  
1) A distressing emotion, aroused by impending pain, danger, or evil, whether real or imagined. 
2) A specific instance of such a feeling, such as being 'afraid of heights', etc.
3) Anxiety, such as worrying about another person. 
4) Awe of God. 
5) That which causes a feeling of being afraid.

We all experience fear from time to time. Somewhere within each of us, there are usually one or two fears that seem to over-ride all the others. This is not unusual. Fear in and of itself, is a part of life. Fear can be a good thing at times, other times it can be a vice. Knowing how to handle and deal with your fears is imperative, as otherwise....your fears will control you.

FACING YOUR FEAR(S)

WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?

It's interesting how adults will treat a child who has a fear, as though the child's fear is, "Nothing to be afraid of", yet the same adult can have their own set of fears that are very real to them. Of course, one of the best ways to help a child overcome their fear, is to walk into the dark with them, look under the bed, search the closet, and show them, reassuringly, there is nothing there. We are teaching them to Face their Fear.

IS IT ANY DIFFERENT FOR AN ADULT?

I don't believe so. I believe an adult must learn to face their fears, just as a child, in their own way, in their own time. Whether real or imaged, all must be treated the same. Some people are afraid of public speaking, others crowds, water, heights, strangers, boating, exercising in public, writing their first real paper, starting college, getting a new job, moving, divorcing, marrying, having children, meeting people of the opposite gender, you name it, and somewhere someone is afraid of it. 

LOOK AT FEAR OBJECTIVELY 

Today I'd like you to note what you're truly afraid of, and why. Next, really think through your fear and what you can do about it. Let's face it, most people simply live their lives avoiding either the people, places, or things they're afraid of. Is this how you want to handle it? Or, would you like to handle it differently? If so, begin today, by changing your perspective about the particular fear you have. Changing your perspective means looking at the same person, place, or thing, through new eyes. I suggest beginning with a fear that's not at the top of your list, and work your way up. Face as many fears directly, as possible. Take a partner who understands, for support, if necessary. Then, one by one, move up your list. You will notice you become much stronger each time you face your fear, and overcome. It becomes easier to face the next. 

HOW I BEGAN

I'll never forget my first experience in overcoming a major fear. This is going to sound incredibly ridiculous, but I was extremely afraid of Ferris Wheels! I didn't start off that way, but after an unfortunate experience, it ended up that way. 

Here's what happened. 

I LOVED amusement parks as a child. My parents would take us children there often, both large parks, and small. I rode as many rides as I could, until I just couldn't stay awake. My brothers and sisters knew I was fair game and could count on me going on any ride with them, so they never had to go alone. One outing, (I was about 8 years old), my older sister wanted to go on a Ferris wheel. I jumped at the chance. Not paying any attention as we we're nearing the front of the line, the controller waved for the next two, to enter. I thought he meant my sister and I, so off I went. He didn't see me run up. I started into the seat, and the man running the ride started the Ferris wheel back up. I didn't know what to do, and my impulse was to hold on. I wasn't in the seat. I grabbed the first piece of metal I saw, and held on. Hold on I did, for dear life, as I was dangling from the ride, hanging from a piece of metal under the seat, at the edge of the seat. People were shouting uncontrollably at the man to stop the ride. He did, but I was at the top. He must have felt he had no choice but turn it on and hope I got to the bottom safely, and that's what he did. I thought I was going to be squished. It was hard to hang on. When I reached the bottom, he saw me jump to the ground, and off he went. He ran as fast as he could and jumped a fence. I don't think he ever came back. 

I didn't ride a Ferris wheel for decades after that experience. Just looking at one gave me the chills. Then one day, twenty-one years later, I took my girls to a local carnival, and they begged me to let them ride the Ferris wheel. They were too young to ride alone. I had to look at it objectively. This was a different day, a different time, and a different experience. You know, it's a lot easier to face your fears when a loved one is involved, so I said, yes. I truly regretted it once I got on. I never felt so sick to my stomach as I did at that moment. It was tough. I made it to the end though. I was so relived when it came to a stop, and I could get off. However, I faced my fear. I've rode it a few times since then, and it has gotten easier.

BOTTOM LINE

Fears can be overcome. Never judge anothers fear, as you have not walked in their footsteps. If you have a fear that 'controls' you, begin today to change the situation. Empower yourself. Gather your resources, inner strength, and courage, and begin the process of overcoming. Life is to be lived. 

Have a super DAY 16!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment